Kitchen Glove - was Re: [Sca-cooks] Knives

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Fri Mar 31 10:15:06 PST 2006

> I hadn't intended to reply to this one, but FWIW, my position has
> always been that the best way to prevent cuts is to not stick a
> knife  into your hand...
>
> Seriously, though, I find that the sensitivity and accuracy of my
> hands is compromised by gloves (except in extreme cases, say, when
> I'm cleaning some sort of spiny fish or some such). My experience
> has  been that the best preventive for unexpected cuts is to learn
> how to  sharpen a knife properly: a sharp knife goes where you want
> it to,  requires less pressure to cut the things you want to cut,
>  and  therefore slips less, and, if it does cut you, does less
> damage in  the long run.
>
> Adamantius, who has acquired one kitchen-knife-scar in the past 20 years

Yep. Learning to cut, chop, and slice properly and safely helps too.

I use the same principle when I'm teaching smithing- I don't allow my
students to wear gloves, unless there's a specofic reason. Why? Because minor
burns are educational- if you don't do that that way, you won't get burned.
Trouble with gloves is that you get careless because the gloves take all the
minor burns, so when you DO get burned, because the gloves caught on fire,
you get the bloody blue blazes burned out of yourself- minor 1st and second
degree burns rapidly escalate into major 2nd and 3rd degree burns, because it
takes you a bit longer to notice that you're actually burned, then you have
to take the glove off, and in that period of time the heat is trapped next to
your skin.

Bare hands, therefore, are usually safer, in addition to the added
sensitivity of touch.

Phlip