Kitchen Glove - was Re: [Sca-cooks] Knives

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 31 10:38:51 PST 2006

Ignoring for a moment my prior post about the filleting glove, let me chime
in with Adamantius the Wise:

"What he said!", when it comes to properly sharpened / maintained cutlery.

And, really, it isn't *that* difficult to sharpen knives properly as long as
you have good tools to do it with and a little bit of instruction / can
follow a diagram and maintain the proper angle between blade edge and
stone/hone. [Any Scout (BSA) who has paid attention should have the basics
down by the time they complete First Class, at least as the program worked
30 years ago for my own youth experience, and 12 years ago for Webelos Cubs
(my sons).]  Using a steel for edge maintenance is something I will admit is
still a mystery to me, although I use a ceramic rod for occasional
touch-ups.  OVER-use of a steel is possible according to my teachers, as it
can leave a "wire edge" that folds over quickly and makes for a self-dulling
blade.

On the matter of prices for gloves -- last I checked, the butcher's glove I
lust toward was costing well over 50 bucks, and when your last regular
paycheck was <mumble> months ago, every dollar counts...

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em  |   Buy my writings!:
http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen