[Sca-cooks] suggestions

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 05:39:19 PDT 2006

Agreed.  I only buy local produce (no California stuff for this
California native!) and mostly at farmers markets.  Unfortunately, CSAs
aren't practical for singles, which is something they really should
address.  We're a significant -- but invisible to politicians &
marketers -- part of the population.
I also have a garden, but that's more for amusement than practicality. :)

Duriel

Patrick Levesque wrote:
>> But have you noticed the skyrocketing prices of root vegetables recently?
>> Parsnips celery root, rutabaga, radish, and so on.  These things used to be
>> 'peasant food' and now they're...I don't know, 'haute cuisine', I guess. :(
>>

> Although I haven't observed that trend yet over here, prices are rising as
> gas costs increase and transportation costs follow suit. You can offset this
> if you eat mostly seasonal and local fruits and veggies. A day outside to
> pick fruits is a fun way to entertain and educate kids ;-)) Also, check with
> your local farmers, to see if there's a community supported agriculture
> program or something similar.  Or you can always grow your own. (Which I
> plan on doing next summer)
>
> Petru

Tom Vincent