[Sca-cooks] Documentation "Fun"...was "Potatoes and personalissues"

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 05:43:39 PDT 2006

Agreed.  If SCA stood for Society for Catering Activities or Society for
Culinary Adventures, 'good dishes' (a relative term) could be served
with impunity.

Being able to share your academic research showing that your 'good dish'
was served at the coronation of King Umdeump in 1245 helps set the scene
and the mood.

Fodder for good conversations, too.

Duriel

Terry Decker wrote:
> Actually, providing documentation at a feast produces some interesting
> games as people try to figure out what they are eating, especially
> when kitchen misadventures force you to swap the order of service.
> The greatest offense I find with feast documentation is when it is
> used to justify bad cooking. I enjoy feeding people well and doing it
> within the constraints of historical recipes.  At a feast, I don't
> expect people to concern themselves with my documentation other than
> for their amusement, but I take it seriously as part of my practice of
> the art of historical cooking.
>
> Bear
>
>> I'd rather cook good food and serve it to appreciative people, not
>> beat them over the head with my phone-book sized pile of
>> documentation while they're eating.
>> -Helena

Tom Vincent