[Sca-cooks] Documentation "Fun"...

Sheila McClune smcclune at earthlink.net
Sun May 21 20:36:05 PDT 2006

Bear wrote:

>At a feast, I don't expect people to concern themselves
>with my documentation other than for their amusement, but I take it
>seriously as part of my practice of the art of historical cooking.
><<<

I've discovered that I do the documentation as much (if not more) for me
than for the people I'm feeding.  I like to be able to look back a
couple of years later and see where I've grown and learned things, as
well as to remind myself of recipes that worked well (or didn't, as the
case may be).  It's also useful to be able to go back and see what
sources the recipes came from, so I can go back and double-check them if
needed.  Sometimes I end up completely re-thinking my interpretation of
a recipe.

I've also just discovered that I can't *not* do documentation.  A friend
of mine and I just finished preparing a tea party for a mundane baby
shower for a friend of mine, and I caught myself going back over the
recipes and annotating the changes we made while we were cooking, and
making sure I had all the sources noted.  Then again, we also
mail-ordered clotted cream and treacle, and hunted down a store selling
watercress, just so our recipes could be as authentic as possible.  So
maybe I'm just insane.  :)

Arwen
Outlands