[Sca-cooks] Bad Cooking at Feasts - was Re: good taste

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Mon May 22 09:00:53 PDT 2006

On bad cooking at feasts, or as I like to "unfortunate learning
experiences"...

I can think of a lot of examples where cooks tried to economize and it
turned most unfortunate.

Cheap salmon off the boat or from the local tribes that was not quite
fresh
Discount veggies that you had to sort through big boxes of, cutting out
the rotton spots and hoping to salvage a small piece per beet of usuable
veggie
Stale bread from the day old store
Someone buys whole cows for cheap, stores them in the freezer and they
are either frozen improperly (too long, freezer burn, etc) or thawed
improperly (go bad, or still frozen in the middle)
One I've done (once) buying those bags of frozen chicken breasts from
Costco. Even thawed, the amount of water they put off in the cooking
made a real challenge.
Using cheap brand ingredients and not retesting the recipes for that
brand (ex: broth will really vary on the amt of salt! Be sure to test
the brand that you're going to use)

There are definite ways to cut costs. But I really feel that you should
go for the freshest, highest quality ingredients you can. The best
recipe in the world is quickly rendered inedible by icky starting
ingredients.

--Anne-Marie