[Sca-cooks] Bad Cooking at Feasts - was Re: good taste

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon May 22 13:30:23 PDT 2006

Am Montag, 22. Mai 2006 20:00 schrieb Micheal:
>  Greetings
>   Most of the bad cooking stories I have heard of begin with the oven
> didn`t work, the grill, the stove top, or some such other kitchen equipment
> failure. Which leaves me wondering why we rent such places in the first
> place.

Had that happen to me. It was a small A&S event, almost only locals, and we
had rented a small house out in the country. First 'feast' I was ever asked
to cook (and with about 20 people it hardly was one, really). And I had a
great kitchen, two electric stovetops, one gas, one electric oven, one gas.
No electricity, no gas.

It's amazing what you can do with an old wood-fired range, but it still took
until midnight to get to the last course.

>   Second type of story is a little more frightening, volunteer without
> experience, sloppy cooking practices, and faulty storage vacilities.

Fortunately, that hasn't had any bad effects (though I will admit to having
thawed meat in hot water after someone decided to put the lid back on the box
overnight) The worst thing was when we had a stirring hiatus on a huge pot of
chickpea puree. No, you *really* have to stir it all the time. I wasn't
saying that to be a slavedriver...

>  Third type is the old but I bought it on sale, sorry but if it was on sale
> there usually is a reason.

I do that a lot, but it usually worked out fine. Except for a 5-kilo bag of
noodles. I had good experience with pasta, but those went awful. Never again
cheap!

>  Fourth never trying the recipe or recipes at home before cooking the
> feast.

I've never seen that happen here, fortunately. Personally, I'm much too anal
to do anything untested.

Fifth reason for bad cooking is the over whelming idea that food
> should be second or third to everything else at the event.

Ditto. But Drachenwald has Mistress Jaelle, so we may be a special case ;-)

Ciao

Giano