[Sca-cooks] Seeds for period vegetables

Jane Boyko jboyko at magma.ca
Tue May 23 19:41:25 PDT 2006

Hi Petru

Ritchies in Ottawa carries heirloom seeds but they do not indicate the
earliest time from.  I picked up some very interesting radish
varieties.  The company is called OSC
http://www.oscseeds.com/frames.html.  As I am experimenting with
container gardening, am an archivist I thought that heirloom vegies
would be a fun experiment.  Another company that sells heirloom products
(herbs etc) is called Richters in Woodbridge, Ontario.  While I don't
recommend ordering from them directly for yourself (I have horror
stories from dealers and private clients) you can possibly order through
your local nursery if they order from this company.  I remember seeing
an heirloom rose bush which they indicated had it roots in the middle
ages (okay, please forgive the pun).  I believe it was dated to the mid
1500's.  http://www.richters.ca/  You can order a catalogue and it will
give you lots of terrific ideas.  My makes good dreamtime reading.

Marina