[Sca-cooks] cress sandwiches

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed May 24 07:59:48 PDT 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Volker Bach wrote:

> or something. whatever...
>
> actually, I bought cress seeds at the local supermarket for a lark
> and tossed
> them in a pot next to my catnip, pennyroyal and rue, and they're
> growing
> nicely. Which is kind of embarrassing since I have no idea what I'm
> supposed
> to do with them. Does the green stuff go on sandwiches? Do I put it
> in salad?
> Are there some kinds of gourmet recipe I've never heard of?
>
> Help appreciated
>
> Giano

I'm not clear on what kind of cress you've got, but watercress is
good in salads (small, slightly succulent leaves with a slightly
peppery aftertaste, nice crunchy stems), good cooked as a semi-puree
(think of the sorrel puree you often see served with fish in France,
only it's not sorrel, its... watercress). It's also good in a creamy
soup (basically a chicken veloute with watercress puree added), or
cooked in chicken stock with shredded ham or a few meatballs with
some egg drops for a Cantonese entree soup...

And yes, it is good in sandwiches, both in little tea sandwiches with
butter, and I seem to recall selling a poached chicken sandwich with
blood orange mayonnaise, watercress and orange supremes for about $20
with surprising success...

In Ireland watercress is traditionally considered a cure for madness
-- the theory is probably that its high mineral content helps with
chemical imbalances in the brain.

I wouldn't know about that; I'm mad anyway.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04