[Sca-cooks] Frying Cheese, or, Thank you Stefan...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed May 24 11:56:24 PDT 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 2:32 PM, ysabeau wrote:

> The cool thing about this cheese is that it crisps up on the
> outside and gets melty on the inside. I'm not sure how it does
> that without getting completely gooey first, but it does.

The way it works is, the milk forms a network of protein chains as it
curdles, giving you curds from which you drain whey. If you press it
into cheese, you'll get a firmish curd cheese, depending on how long
and how hard you press it.

As the cheese ages, enzymes and [mostly] bacteria will break down
those casein strands over time, giving the mass a more homogeneous
and less "curdy" texture.

Queso Blanco is fresh, though, and the casein strands are pretty
strong, and there's also not a huge amount of fat in it, compared to
some other cheeses. So yes, it'll eventually soften and melt, but not
before a good crust is formed, most of the time.

Adamantius, fan of saag panir

Holt, 07/29/04