[Sca-cooks] On-line Pennsic Pity Party

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu May 25 07:53:39 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Obviously, local laws vary but we would get in SO much trouble if we
> started digging at any of the usual camp sites we use.  I wanted to try
> it but noooo. On the other hand, we might solve the issue of those noisy
> ducks and other waterfowl. <evil grin>
>
> Selene

Yep.

At Pennsic, we can dig sump pits, but they must be no deeper than 3 feet.

Which reminds me of an amusing incident. The first time Rob camped with
SPCA, while we were setting up camp, I asked him to dig the sump hole for
us. I was used to the average SCAdian- futz around a while, find the shovel,
gossip a bit, take a couple shovels full out of the hole, gossip some more,
etc- usually an all day job. I'd told him I needed it about 3 ft across-
didn't worry about depth, because your usual SCAdian digs a pit, not a hole-
slanty sides.

Looked around a little later, and he wasn't in sight- just a heap of dirt,
with shovels full flying out. Went over- "Hellooooo down there..." I had
forgotten that he was military- he had a perfectly square sump pit, deeper
than he was tall, and was still going. Hadda stop him, fill part of it in-
had never occurred to me that he'd dig it too deep. I was used to SCAdians
digging as much as they thought they could get away with, and taking all day
to do it.

Yes, folks, SPCA camp has a perfect sump pit, every year, with the dirt put
aside for convenient refilling at the end of Pennsic.

--
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"