[Sca-cooks] On-line Pennsic Pity Party

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu May 25 08:25:25 PDT 2006

At 05:13 AM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
>All it takes is an injury at a relatively young age and
>moteling it becomes a necessity and not a luxury.
>I can't imagine how many painkillers it would take
>24/7 in order for me to be able to camp again.

Yup. That's one reason why I will not camp without my bed. Put the bedding
on the ground and I can't get up. At all. And a couple of years ago, we had
a miscommunication and the futon got left behind. James offered to go back
for it (it was an hour away) and I should have said yes, but I really
didn't want to put him out... oh, _such_ a mistake! Sleeping on the bare
platform, with only an extra sleeping bag and blankets under us. Much pain.

>  As it is,
>I am the one who needs the handicapped parking spot at the
>outdoor event. Even that tends to be a struggle, as most
>autocrats never think about handicapped parking at an
>outdoor event. Pennsic is an exception with a full crew devoted
>to handling such things.

Many of the camping events around here, the autocrats set aside two or
three of the parking spaces out front, where the autocrats usually set
aside for their staff and the royals. Even then, I think they are going to
have to Set aside more- there are more and more of us using scooters, etc.
And there is always a handicapped-accessible privy. (They're also handy for
those 'handicapped' by Tudor/Elizabethan gowns ;-)

'Lainie, whose knees are no stable enough to need a cane only intermittently