[Sca-cooks] Re: Mysost/Gjetost (cheese)

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon May 1 08:38:18 PDT 2006

Cordelia Toser wrote:

>Am I the only person who's ever made gjetost?
>
>  Boiling down that much whey just to get to a peanut-butter consistency took a couple of days, since I did not want to burn it.  You don't get very much after all that work.  But I did learn where most of the milk sugars end up.

I bet one of those modern "crock pots" would obviate the problem of
burning the bottom of the pot.  I don't use anything else for long-time
cooking like this.  I really hate having to bring out the wire brushes
for my cookware!

>Lyse wrote:
>  This is the first time I have heard Gjetost made from whey. As far as I know
>proper gjetost is made with whole goat's milk.
>
>Note: "Gjet" in Norwegian is "goat".

Silly question then:  what does "Ost" mean, then?  I take it, "Mys"
would have something to do with Cattle.

Selene Colfox