[Sca-cooks] Coffee and caffeine

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Wed May 3 07:39:25 PDT 2006

Then for those of us who don't use sugar, that shouldn't be a problem.  In
case you guys are wondering why my concern...I was diagnosed this past week
with adult onset diabetes...I'm already having to give up stuff I love, and
don't want to give up the coffee I drink...I don't usually do much more than
a cup - cup and a half each day, but I really enjoy that little bit!

Kiri

Well, your average 6 oz cup of coffee, decaf, plain, has 6 calories.

And, the Chirurrgeon's List has given me back this information:

I was first warned by my M.D. (who did a lot of holistic research) back
when I was diagnosed as a severely reactive hypoglycaemic, that CAFFEINE
stimulates the pancreas the same way sugars do.  Thusly I went off the 20
to 25 cups of extra-strong coffee A DAY I was drinking in my pro radio
career....and now one cup of caffeine wires me like a television for about
10 hours <I'm just hyper reactive to caffeine!>.

But yes: caffeine does have a measurable effect on the pancreas and
caffeinated beverages should be avoided (I can speak for Type II diabetics
anyways).

TSivia

It's confusing.  There are contradictory articles out there.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/briefs/diabetes_endocrine/hb040913.htm
http://www.man-health-fitness-solutions.com/diabetes.html
says caffeine reduces sugar intake by cells.

This article
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20040117/food.asp
says high doses of caffeine (400 mg a day) protects you from diabetes, but
doesn't tell you if once you have it, does it make it worse?

the most useful information for this person will be to do a BG fasting,
before a cup of coffee, and then one 2 hours afterwards.  that will give him
the right answer to his real question, which is "can i have a cup of
coffee?"

--Hawk

This is VERY VERY odd. Per all the reading I have done...
Search Diabetics and Coffee.

Evedently every article i read shows that Coffee of any type (Reg or Decaf)
Reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes.

I know that it DOES effect insulin but i would have to discus it with an
endocronologist to understand it totaly.

maybe he should do just that.

Svanhildr

So, apparently, the effects of coffee, and caffeine on diabetes are all over
the board.

Personally, Kiri, in your case I wouldn't worry too much despite all the
extremists, who declare that once a particular substance has demonstrated
some ill effects in excess, one should NEVER have that substance, in any
amount, in any form. This is plain stupid. Moderation is the key, not total
abstinance. I rather doubt your daily cuppa is going to cause you a
significant problem, as part of a balanced diet. If you want to be absolutely
sure, though, you could follow Hawk's suggestion of doing a fasting sugar
count, see what the results are, and see if you (and your endocrinologist)
can live with whatever the results are.

As part of my web researches today, I ran across one website that declared
that I should weigh 135 lbs. I'll grant you, that at 180, I'm a bit
overweight, but if I were to weigh 135, I'd look like a famine victim- I
haven't weighed 135 since I was 12 years old and 2 inches shorter ;-0 Hel, I
look too skinny at 160. The "experts" don't always know what they're talking
about ;-)

And, Huette? Diabetes is an odd disease. Granted there are certain truisms
for ANY diabetic, such as avoiding processed sugars, but because a particular
diabetic such as Hroar has a particular reaction to a particular substance,
it does not necessarily follow that ALL diabetics will.

Phlip