[Sca-cooks] Luncheon Question

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu May 4 13:03:23 PDT 2006

Martha Oser wrote:

> Greetings all!
> I've been toying with the idea of trying to provide a more period
> selection of foods for lunch taverns.  Too often, the only the usual
> is provided - hot dog or bratwurst, cheese, soup, hard-boiled egg and
> so on - and I'd like to try offering things a little less obviously
> modern and more historic.

Actually, barring a sausage _in a bun_, those are all perfectly good
period foods.

> I know that many of you have done dayboards in a period style, but
> have actual lunch taverns ever been offered?  What dishes worked and
> what didn't?
> The other issue I see is providing food for kids, who so often are
> "picky eaters."  I'm sure that in period, children ate what was set
> before them - or do we have documentation that children's fare was
> different from that of the adults?

I suggest:
-  The things you're already serving.
- Cold roast chicken or other cold roast meat with whatever sauce your
group likes (ie, green sauce, pepper sauce, cameline sauce, etc.)
- Bread
- Jumbals or other biscuits
- Meat pies or herb tarts or cheese tarts.
- Meatballs.
- Fresh fruit
- Dried fruit and nuts.
- Salad.
- Pickles

Making specific food for children is not a period practice AFAIK, and to
my way of thinking, a bad one.  I managed to survive childhood without
anyone fixing special meals for me, after all.  If you are offering a
reasonable variety of foods, then you have fulfilled your obligations--
don't worry about it.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,