[Sca-cooks] Luncheon Question

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu May 4 19:16:39 PDT 2006

Helena wrote:
>My idea is to provide period food in an accessible manner to try to get
>folks past the "period food is yucky" mentality that still seems to exist
>despite the excellent feasts that are produced.

SNIP

>My question on things that might especially appeal to the younger crowd
>still applies.

Well, pasta is period - pasta tossed with (butter, olive oil) and
Parmesan cheese is close to period - period would have some sugar and
spices (ginger, cinnamon) sprinkled on it, too - recipes include
Macrows (aka Makerouns) and Losyns (aka Losens). Here's one version
of Macrows:
http://www.godecookery.com/friends/frec68.htm

Here's another on for Macrows, possibly better one:
http://home.earthlink.net/~smcclune/stewpot/recipe_macrows14.html

You could always look in the Florilegium
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pasta-msg.html
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Medievl-Pasta-art.html

Duke Cariadoc and Elizabeth Cook's version is here:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellaneous.html
and it is copied in other places around the web. Their Macrows is just below it

Soup is still good - it doesn't have to be greasy.

I'm fond of tarts - the ones with egg, and cheese, and greens, and
herbs. I'm not into the "hand pie" thing - a slice of tart is good
enough - unless there are no plates in the picture.

There is also an Italian recipe that uses chopped - not ground -
pre-cooked meat, herbs and sour green grapes - which are great with
the other ingredients - they aren't that noticeable and they add
moisture and tang. Since i imagine most produce sections don't carry
them, you could use regular green grapes and a little splash of
verjus or vinegar.

It's on
http://www.geocities.com/anahita_whitehorse/LibroDellaCocina.html
and here it is:
[121] Another preparation. You can make a pie from beef, mutton and
pork, sliced very small with garlic, onion, scallions, clean green
grapes, or with herbs, in whatever way you like.
The source is the late 14th or early 15th c. Anonimo Toscano, Libro
della Cocina (Anonymous Tuscan Cookery Book) as translated by my
friend, Vittoria Aureli.

I remember someone on this list some time ago putting together a list
of Medieval recipes that are quite similar to modern recipes. Anyone
remember this? Is it on line somewhere?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

yeah, still haven't gotten on the road yet...