[Sca-cooks] Diabetes and Honey - substitute or not?

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Sat May 6 12:33:30 PDT 2006

My personal "take" on this is all things in moderation (including
moderation) -- and the *best* thing to do when in doubt about a "diabetic
friendly" dish is to ask the target audience just what they mean in their
usage of the term.  (For example, for MYSELF, the Platina honey-sweetened
cheesecake is something that I absolutely adore -- and rigorously limit to a
_small_ serving each day I find it available.)

"When in doubt":  my personal rule of thumb for such a dish IF working under
such a request and unable to communicate directly to the potential diners
would be to send any questions to the head of retinue / entourage while
testing various combinations in advance.  For a direct example, with the
tagine in question, try halving the amount of honey and adding back some
amount of Splenda (*not* Splenda Baking Blend!); a separate batch with 1/4
the suggested honey, a dusting of stevia powder, and a little extra liquid;
and perhaps a third batch with a light syrup of apricot juice mixed with
Splenda and reduced over a very low heat.

In general, fruit juice that has *not* been cooked or otherwise handled in
such a way that fructose converts to sucrose is more "friendly" than refined
sugars or even unprocessed cane sap / juice -- but much comes down to *how*
the given diabetic is managing their condition, and the variations are way
too many in number to cover briefly.

Apologies that I can't speak more specifically to how this affects a
"tagine" -- not a dish / type of dish covered in the references I have ready
to hand. (Not even an unabridged dictionary?  Sad comment on dictionary
compilation, I suppose...)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em  |   Buy my writings!:
http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen