[Sca-cooks] Long Pepper and Cubebs in the NYTimes

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 9 06:15:40 PDT 2006

The New York Times published their special Style Magazine on
Sunday May 7th. The reason it's of interest and I thought I would mention
it here is because it contains an article titled  "The Dish." It surveys
what's new and hot
in things culinary.
This article includes this section:

Specialty Peppercorns

Following the recent fascination with gourmet salt,
a peppercorn trend is hardly surprising.
Chefs are looking to fiery varietals like long pepper and
Pondicherry to spice things up, as well as to the milder,
slightly herbal perfumes of cubeb and Tasmanian black
pepper to add layers of subtlety.

A recipe for steak au poivre is then included.

They are all pictured on page 59. The source is given as
Millissime   which oddly enough doesn't list them on their website.
http://www.millissime.com/

Interesting to see long pepper mentioned as a coming trend.

Johnnae