[Sca-cooks] re:lemon pie recipe

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue May 9 07:49:33 PDT 2006

On May 9, 2006, at 10:22 AM, Marcha wrote:

> This is oop but a life long friend of mine has asked help in
> finding a milk based lemon pie recipe. His Mother made one but the
> recipe is lost in the mists of time. I  would also be interested.
> I do not like the regular lemon pie recipes (truth be told, can't
> stand meringue) so any help would be greatly appreciated by both of
> us.
> Bertha

You could probably find a Key Lime Pie recipe online rather easily,
and substitute lemon and lemon rind for the Key limes. Most often
KLP's seem to be made according to a fairly standard formula
involving lime juice and rind, egg yolks, and sweetened, condensed
milk (possibly additional sugar is added). The pie is then frozen,
usually, at least in my experience, to finish setting the "custard".
A Key lime pie can have meringue, but it's not really essential.

I used to work with a pastry chef who made a terrific lemon tart with
a cornmeal crust and a filling that was basically lemon curd, poured
while warm into the pre-baked crust. I just don't trust my
recollection on things like quantities; I'd have to spend a day in a
kitchen if I wanted to try and duplicate it.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04