[Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 12:12:34 PDT 2006

As stated before, by the Lovely Dame Selene, I have an allergy also to capsaicin.  But before I
developed this allergy, years ago, a group of us went to the Bengal Tiger Restaurant after an
event.  I was young and just starting to explore the various wonderful cuisines of the world.
I had never had any real Indian food before and I was eager to try.  They offered mild,
medium and hot versions of each main dish.  While the others were ordering the hot versions,
I ordered the mild.  I ordered a lamb curry.  Now lamb is a very strong flavored meat and I
love it.  However, unless they mixed up the orders, the mild curry was so strong that I
couldn't tell whether I was eating lamb or beef or goat.  The only flavor that I tasted
was the curry and was too hot for my palate.  So I had to fill up with the nan, which was
very good.  I subsequently went to other Indian restaurants and was able to eat their curries,
up until about 15 years ago, when I developed the allergy.

Fortunately, the Lovely Dame Selene found a curry mix that is without capsicum peppers in it
and now I can make lamb curry again!   All the lovely flavor but without the capsaisin heat!
Yeah!

Huette