[Sca-cooks] An Tir May Crown

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun May 14 08:49:08 PDT 2006

On May 14, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> My Mongolian friend Kerjie and I keep talking about how if we could
> get
> USDA approved horsemeat, we'd give it a shot. Much to the dismay of
> other equestriennes ;). But then Kerjies persona is supposed to eat
> marmots too ;)
>
> Hrm. Now that I think on it, do we have any documented recipes for
> horsemeat? I'm sure they ate it, there are still chevaline butchers in
> france (I saw a sign for one with the same last name as me :)) but I
> don't recall any recipes in any of the sources?
>
> -_AM

I don't have any primary documentation, but the claim has been made
that horse-eating in England was discouraged after the Norman
conquest, probably partly because an equestrian aristocracy found it
shocking, and because claims were made that the practice was
apparently part of pre-Christian worship. The impression I get is
that Norman knights thought it an abomination and used the spread off
Christianity and the discouraging of paganism as a convenient excuse.
This probably an over-simplification, though, and not something I can
prove.

As I recall, Yorkshire was one of the last places in England to
accept Christianity more or less fully, and by sheer coincidence, one
derogatory term for a Yorkshireman still used in England until fairly
recently is "kicker" or "kicker-eater", supposedly a reference to
horsemeat consumption.

I think there's a little bit more about this in Schwabe's
"Unmentionable Cuisine".

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04