[Sca-cooks] An Tir May Crown

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun May 14 10:38:00 PDT 2006

"Poma Amoris. Apples of Loue. [tomato]
...In Spaine and those hot Regions they vse to eat the Apples
prepared and boiled with pepper, salt, and oile: but they yeeld very
little nourishment to the bodie, and the same nought and corrupt.
Likewise they doe eat the Apples with oile, vineger and pepper
mixed together for sauce to their meate, euen as we in these cold
Countries doe Mustard." (From Gerard's Herbal, circa 1597.)

Yum, this sounds quite good and a low-carb way for us reducing types to
address that craving for the flavor of pizza or spaghetti.  I think that a
properly ripened tomato should need but little of the "point" of vinegar,
however.

Selene