[Sca-cooks] An Tir May Crown

"Ana L. Valdés" agora at algonet.se
Sun May 14 09:14:34 PDT 2006

I found those called traditional recipes. But tomatoes are not Period :(
And those German recipes are old and traditional,
http://www.theiling.de/recipes/
And these is from Kazakhstan, where the Mongols ate their horses when
they were old, http://www.recipezaar.com/160793
Ana

      Recipes

*Picula ad Caval*

This traditional Italian recipe will serve 6

21/4 pounds ground horse meat
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2-1/2 ounces ground cured lard (or pancetta)
2 onions, minced
1 glass dry white wine (though some Italian chefs prefer broth)
6 ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded, chopped, and drained
2 bell peppers, ribbed and seeded, then diced
2 Tbsp. minced fresh herbs (basil, sage, and rosemary in proportions to
taste)
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil, lard, and onion in a skillet. Sauté until the onion has
become golden but don’t let it get really brown. Add the horse meat and
brown it, stirring frequently. When it has browned, sprinkle in the
glass of wine and reduce the heat to a bare simmer. Cover it, and let it
cook for at least an hour. Mix in the chopped tomatoes and diced
peppers, and continue cooking for another half hour.

Ten minutes before removing the dish from the stove, sprinkle the minced
herbs over everything. Serve it hot with salt and pepper to taste.

*Pastissada*

Another traditional Italian recipe from the Verona area.

2 pounds horse meat
2 ounces lard or porkback fat
2-3 carrots, cut into slivers
2 sticks celery, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves
a dozen coriander seeds
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic
1 bottle Italian red wine
flour, enough to brown the meat with
1/4 cup olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. butter kneaded into enough flour to make a small ball
paprika to taste

Slather the meat with the lard and slivers of carrots. Dice the other
vegetables and put them, with the meat and spices (except the paprika)
in a bowl. Pour the wine over everything, then cover and marinate in the
refrigerator for three days, turning the meat occasionally.

Pat the meat dry with paper towel (keep the vegetables and the
marinade), flour it, and brown it in the oil over a brisk flame. Add the
vegetables. When they’ve cooked for a few minutes, pour the marinade
over the meat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about three
hours. Once the meat is done, remove it to a platter saving the sauce
that has been formed with the marinade.

Return the sauce to the fire, thicken it with the butter-flour ball, and
season it to taste with paprika. Pour the sauce over the meat, and serve
with a good traditional side dish.

*Filet Mignon*

This simple French classic serves 4.

4 four-ounce filets of horse
4 slices bacon
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare exactly as for a filet mignon. Wrap outside of filet with
uncooked bacon slice and secure with toothpicks. Broil to taste.

*Sauerbraten (Sour Roast)*

Practically a German sacrament

2-1/2 lbs. horse meat roast
4 strips bacon (optional)
soup vegetables: carrot, celery, leek (optional), parsley root
(optional), onion (optional)
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 pint red wine (optional)
1 garlic clove
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. juniper berries
3 allspice corns and/or cloves
3 peppercorns
1 thyme branch
1/4 cup pork lard
1 Tbsp. flour (optional)
1/2 cup raisins
salt
pepper
maple syrup (to taste)

Vigorously rub the roast with the bacon. Clean and wash the vegetables
and cut them into pieces. Bring the vinegar to boil with some water or
stock, then let it cool down a bit and add the meat, garlic, spices, and
the vegetables. Let it marinade in a closed bowl for several days (but
at least 24 hours) in a cool place.

Remove the horse meat from the marinade and roast it in the lard. Then
slowly add the marinade, together with the vegetables and the spices.
Braise it in the oven for 2 to 21/2 hours at 350 degrees. Remove the bay
leaves, the cloves and the juniper berries from the gravy. Strain the
gravy, and perhaps thicken it with some flour. Add the raisins and
season it with salt, pepper, and maple syrup. Serves 4.