[Sca-cooks] Favorite insides for hand held pies

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon May 15 08:16:52 PDT 2006

> Low temp on the oven, I assume? <g>
> Sorry about the bad weather your way...it really was delightful here
> today. We can get some really nice days in May--everything has
> greened up, and it's warm, but it's not hot yet. I spent the evening
> out on the front porch with the lilacs blooming, and some
> knitting.... --Maire

I was kinda surprised at your question, Maire, but a bit busy to spend time
giving you an answer, so here goes.

If I wanted to experiment with different flavors or tarts, I'd just look for
recipes that, by their nature, are pretty thick and go from there- curries,
stews, soups that can be thickened, custards, and the like, and use them for
fillings. Using a rather outre example, get some baked beans, add your
favorite spicings, and either finely chopped pork, or possibly well cooked
and chopped bacon, or thinly sliced hot dogs, cook the mix down slowly to
thick, let it cool so it's even thicker, then spoon it into your tart shells
or your hand held pies, seal, and toss in the oven when you're ready to cook
them. Take them out when the crust is properly done, and the innards ought to
be warmed through. Just look through your pantry, freezer, and fridge, and
mix up whatever looks like it would be a good combo.

Phlip