[Sca-cooks] Porridge, tobacco

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed May 17 12:57:24 PDT 2006

> I was trying to access the archives to read up on a past discussion on
> porridge, more to the point, of using milk in porridge and cereals in
> general. I just happened to stumble across a chapter of L'Agriculture et la
> Maison Rustique (1572) that mentioned eating oat meal with milk and sugar,
> and thought this would be of interest. I'm sorry if that point was already
> made, as the archives are not available.

Do you have a direct quote? I'd love to use it in one of my handouts!
This is very cool.

> BTW, there is also an interesting discussion in the same source on
> 'Nicotiane' (tobacco) giving a bunch of alleged medecinal uses, as well as
> various modes of consumption (including smoking, of course) and instructions
> on growing your own little crop of poison :-)) (somewhat out of topic, but
> fascinating nonetheless)

Yes, a lot of 16th century sources talk about tobacco as the cure-all.
They even consumed distilled tobacco water. Why they didn't die I don't
know.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman