[Sca-cooks] Getting old...

Lonnie D. Harvel aoghann at gmail.com
Thu May 18 12:10:20 PDT 2006

I am 42 and still trying to keep up with my mother who is 78. It is
not that she doesn't have health problems, she just doesn't let it
slow her down much. She is truly an inspiration. Recently, another
elderly lady told my mother that "when you reach my age, you will have
to slow down." The woman is five years younger than my mother!

Of course, she is slowing down, but that is just a matter of pacing
herself. She isn't a fool. If I lived in the same city with her, I
would probably feel like a sluggard. Not that I have slowed up too
much. Biggest problem is my lower back, that goes out on me. Starting
a new program in July with a rehab/doctor team that is exercises,
stretching and weight lifting that will hopefully get me back to
better than before. (if anyone is personally interested, contact me
offline and I will let you know how it goes.)

So, I guess I would agree with the general gist of the posts on this
thread. Getting old, though it does bring some physical limitations,
is largely a frame of mind. My mother claims she can't be in her
second childhood, she never left the first. I can accept that.

Aoghann
(Who has decided that the SCA is sufficient to indulge any midlife
crisis I might encounter.  If I start to wilt under andropause, I can
always strap on some armor, get re-certified, and take up field
archery. Nothing like a few sheets of steel to put a swagger back in
your step!)