[Sca-cooks] Re: Documentation "Fun"

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Fri May 19 10:25:36 PDT 2006

Hear! Hear! I'm the same way. I'd rather be tinkering in the
kitchen than digging through books. I rarely follow a recipe to
the letter whether it is modern or period. I also rarely cook
anything the same way twice, be it good or bad.

Read everything I get my hands on, eventually...and I retain the
knowledge, just don't ask me 3 months later who said it or where I
read it. I won't be able to tell you...I just "know" it...for
example, I remember reading something somewhere as documentation
for chocolate being period. What I read said something about an
official document that was found forbidding the nuns in a certain
convent from making and drinking hot chocolate because it was
interfering with their duties. No idea where that tidbit of info
came from, but I remember it. Will I repeat it, probably...would I
write up a paper on the possibilities of chocolate being
period...nope, I'm just not that interested.

I figure it is kind of like medical professionals (or any other
profession) where some people get into the practical side (seeing
and treating patients) while others go the research route to try
and cure diseases. Both types of people are valued and needed.
Neither is better than the other. Are they mutually exclusive, not
necessarily...but usually a person is more talented in one area
than another.

My two cents,
Ysabeau
 I'm just not minded to do the