[Sca-cooks] egg recipes

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue May 30 05:38:37 PDT 2006

On 5/30/06, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> You did say
> "like a cooked egg nog". Is egg nog just mixed together and served,
> then? This does sound very "rich".
>
> Stefan

Modernly, Stefan, there are recipes for both cooked egg nogs (come out
rather like a very thin custard) and uncooked egg nogs (come out rather like
a melted milk shake). I made both, this past winter, depending on my mood.
Cooked tends to be the most popular, for home made, because everyone's up in
arms about the dangers of raw eggs, however I've never had a problem, and
thanks to the girls, rather doubt I wll.

Here's a couple more or less standard recipes. I prefer brandy for my
alcohol, but most of the brown liquors work bourbon, Canadian, rum, but NOT
Scotch:

Cooked Eggnog

Ingredients

3 eggs
2 Tbs sugar
pinch of salt
1 1/12 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Preparation

Start by... adding all the ingredients to the blender and blend  until
smooth (about 8 seconds).
Then... Pour into a sauce pan and over low heat, warm the mixture making
sure to stir it constantly.
When... the mixture has thickened remove it from heat. Cover and refrigerate
until well chilled.

This recipe serves 2, double or triple the ingredients for more servings.

Add a shot of rum and a sprinkle of nutmeg to each serving for a classic
holiday cocktail.

Uncooked Eggnog

A super rich eggnog with cream and milk, with a bit of a kick from brandy
and rum.

INGREDIENTS:

    * 6 eggs
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1/2 tsp vanilla
    * 1/4 tsp nutmeg
    * 2 cups milk
    * 2 cups heavy whipping cream
    * 3/4 cup brandy
    * 1/3 cup dark rum

PREPARATION:
Chill everything before starting, for best results. Beat eggs until frothy,
then beat in sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Slowly stir in brandy, rum, cream
and milk. Chill again, and serve eggnog cold.

-
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"