[Sca-cooks] Faith and chellenges

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Wed May 31 07:14:20 PDT 2006

Let's remember that science is premissed most often on laws of probablitity.  Things are referred to in terms of t-tests, chi square, ANOVA, MANOVA, etc.  Scientific assertions are made in terms of probability that the observed occurances happened due to chance, be it less that .05 or .005 or .001 or greater confidence levels.  Laws are groups of tested and replicated hypotheses and"facts" are widely held and believed laws (IIRC).

Let us not forget the lessons of our Medieval forebears who believe the 4 humors governed health and the world was made of 4 elements.  We learned again in regards to flat/round worl and revolution status of our solar system.  Hubris in the midst of seemingly observed "science" is possibly more egregious than "faith" in the midst of possibly contravening information.  Both "fact" and "faith" need vigilence and wisdom to temper both and make necessary modifications as one's relationship to the subject matter changes and grows.

Let us not protest that "science" is the penultimate of all knowledge any more than sacred writings and faith-based systems.  Scentific method has gotten us quite far in society, but not without a good healthy measure of faith and spiritual convictions.  One without the other lacks vision, understanding, and/or temperance.

niccolo difrancesco