[Sca-cooks] Faith and chellenges

tom.vincent at yahoo.com tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 10:21:46 PDT 2006

(dammit...I wish this list and it's members were consistant in reply-to structure!  I'm so tired of typing a reply, then seeing that the reply only goes to the person instead of the list like it should and having to change it over and over and over again :( )

In general, I agree with your thoughts, except for your characterization of 'science' as a monolith.  'Science' describes a wide range of academic pursuits and a wide range of levels of 'fact' and 'opinion'.  It's a general process, so there is no 'hubris' in 'science' anymore than there are raisins in bread:  It is neither a necessary component nor an ever-present ingredient.

When Medieval 'scientists' put forth their positions, how were critics treated?  With contempt, threats, attacks, execution.  That tells you that the primitive 'scientific' process was no more than an application of faith/religion to the material world.

Catholics were horrified at the idea that the earth revolved around the sun and not, as they claimed for hundreds of years, the other way around.  They threatened anyone who said otherwise.

Now, however, hundreds of years after everyone else learned of the accuracy of the sun-based model, Catholics suddenly act like the earth-based model never existed or they never persecuted anyone opposed to it.  And that's just one of the more *benign* examples I could come up with.

You paint a picture where 'faith/religion' and 'fact/science' cheerfully skip along the road, smiling, hand-in-hand.  But every time in history -- and I mean EVERY time -- science has presented compelling evidence against a long-established religious precept, the religion works to smother science, not embrace the new knowledge and open reject their previous dogma.

It is *science* that questions itself, not religion.
It is *science* that re-examines itself, not religion.
It is *science* that admits mistakes, not religion.

Tom Vincent
When shall it be said in any country of the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance or distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes not oppressive; the rational world is my friend because I am friend of its happiness; when these things can be said, then may that country boast of its constitution and government.
-- Tom Paine