[Sca-cooks] Cast Iron pots??

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed May 31 15:08:52 PDT 2006

On 5/31/06, Marcus Loidolt <mjloidolt at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Benedicte,
> cousins and friends all, I have a question...having no clue to the answer,
> can cast iron be recycled? I have one that has a sizable crack in it...it
> won't hold water....
> can a metal worker use this for remaking something or just pitch it/
> change its use?
>
> Abot Johann

Well, I _can_ be welded, but that doesn't work very well for any object that
goes through heating and cooling cycles like a cook pot does, as the welding
filler is usually a nickel alloy, and heats and shrinks at a different rate.
I have heard of some of the folks doing smelting throwing some cast iron in
with the ore for a smelt with some success- in an anaerobic, reducing
environment, cast iron will lose much of its carbon and go back to being a
ductile version of steel, but there just aren't that many who smelt in SCA.
Best bet, if you want to recycle it is to use it as a flower pot holder, if
it's arractive enough, or just send it to the scrapyard. Commercial smelters
can deal with it, unlike most hobbyists.

--
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"