[Sca-cooks] Sausages, we have a weinner (winner)

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sat May 20 10:19:54 PDT 2006

I missed the explanation of the facilities available, but roasting is always
a thought for simple methods.  I employ this often when preparing suasages
at home . . . always pricking the skins before cooking.

Several sources I've used in preparing the little ground jewels in casings
say to seeth and then fry.  You'll get a moiter product, in general, and you
will get that crisp snap when biting into them.

In Kenosha and Madison WI (a couple hundred miles from Sheboygan - home of
the American Bratwurst) they are grilled from raw and 'basted' with beer.
Put some beer in a squirt bottle with a bit of water, and you use it to tame
flare-ups in the coals as well as to mist the cooking sausages.  Slightly
drier sausage, and with a low, indirect fire, you get perfect brats.

niccolo difranceso
(mustard and kraut on mine, please)