[Sca-cooks] Bad Cooking at Feasts - was Re: good taste

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon May 22 10:42:10 PDT 2006

We have a less that politically correct name for the chicken served at one
feas tthat was black charred on the outside and rather medium rare on the
inside.  It was an honest mistake result of using matchlight charcoal to
cook slightly frosty pieces of meat.  Matchlight burns intensely hot for
short period of time.  Chicken was done in time for feast, depending on
definition of done.

Bad cooking also consists of using spices that are years old and
tiome/tempuerature abused.  cinnamon is one that happened locally that had
lost nearly all essential oils to become basically colored chalk . . . but
was used in a couple of dishes featuring cinnamon.  Unfortunate mistake that
the docs couldn't hide.

Another classic error I've seen possibly constituting "bad cooking" is the
inclusion of a single or couple of ingredients in every dish in a menu, or
so many that your feast becomes referred to as "that garlic feast".  Then,
there is the faux pas of cooking the dish that every feast for three months
has included, and of which people are tired.  It may be more "bad planning"
on both counts, but it is part of the "cooking" task of preparing a feast.

niccolo difrancesco
(goat may not actually be a logical subsitute for venison)