[Sca-cooks] BAd cooking at Feasts

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon May 22 11:57:38 PDT 2006

From: Louise Smithson <helewyse at yahoo.com>
> Reminds me of a feast I ate once (location anonymous only and overview
> provided).
>   First course
>    Not bad, not enough of some foods though.
>   Second course/Third course, I've forgotten some stuff, self defense
>   - rice which was mushy and crunchy simultaneously with no salt
>   - portions too small to satisfy the table, the beef was greasy and bland and
> served with mustard freshly squeezed from a dijon mustard tube.
>   Everything was under seasoned.
>   Desert
>   - "Italian creme" OK it was supposed to be a rose water flavored egg yolk and
> cream custard, it looked like baby puke, curdled with black flecks in it.  Yup
> you really can't cook a custard on a stove top unless you are willing to stand
> there and stir it constantly.
>
>   Shudder

> Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make  PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.

Yup...I think I've had most of what you describe somewhere along the line.  Probably the worst was a feast cooked by someone who was supposed to be a very fine cook of Laurel quality...the fish stew had citrus sections that had simply been sliced from the orange without being peeled (love orange peel, love orange, but not that bitter white stuff), the lovely cut of beef was overcooked to the point of being like shoe leather and the custard they served for dessert was evidently made with milk that had gone VERY sour.

Kiri