[Sca-cooks] Bad Cooking at Feasts - was Re: good taste

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Mon May 22 14:33:11 PDT 2006

oh yeah, and speaking of "oops!"

I made a bunch of cretonnee of new peas from le menagier. yum! fresh peas, cooked
in milk with saffron, ginger and a bit of parsley. pureed and thickened with
breadcrumbs. one of my faves :).

we made it and stored it in our big pots, and then heated it up in same.

all of the batches tasted like tinfoil. apparently the aluminium pots reacted with
the pea soup. Which I dont get. I mean, if it was acidic, or really basic? sure.
but peas in milk? it doesnt get any more neutral pH than that!

I was very very sad. did I mention how yummy the stuff is?. we didnt serve it
(well, we started to but pulled it back when the baroness came up to me and
whispered..."there's something funny...") and I cried as I dumped it in the trash :(

interestingly, of the people who got some, 1/2 thought it was inedible. the other
1/2 was in two camps...those who didnt mind the tin foil taste (ugh) and a group of
folks who couldnt taste it at all.

to this day I dont use aluminium pots or pans for anything but boiling water for
dishes and maybe baking chicken in no sauce. maybe.

--Anne-Marie