[Sca-cooks] A few more words on lambs

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 17:18:42 PDT 2006

--- Patrick Levesque <petruvoda at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Actually, in French, Ox and Beef both translate as 'Boeuf' - there is no
> differentiation between the two terms. Same thing goes for Calf and Veal,
> which are 'Veau'.

This reminds me of the PBS show called, "The Story of English", which pointed
out some interesting facts about the origins of the English language.

Beef is from the French/Norman
Cow is from the Anglo/Saxon

Mutton is from the French/Norman
Sheep is from the Anglo/Saxon

Pork is from the French/Norman
Pig is from the Anglo/Saxon

Venison is from French/Norman
Deer is from Anglo/Saxon

According to the show, this proved that the Normans were the conquerors and
therefore the eaters of the beasts, while the Anglo-Saxons became the caretakers
and cooks of the beasts...

Huette