[Sca-cooks] Veggie suggestions for a feast

Ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Mon May 22 18:25:31 PDT 2006

I've been asked to cook for a dinner hosted by our local baron for about 20
people at a local event. I've got some of the menu pinned down but I'm
looking for veggie suggestions. I know I can get some good squashes at my
local farmer's market, but I haven't found a period recipe for them yet (I'm
still looking).

The feast is going to include venison sausage (from my brother-in-law),
stuffed eggs (from a period recipe I found online), and a Hungarian tart
(mostly pork and onion from a period recipe I found online). I'm also
planning on making a blackberry cobbler/tart for dessert, especially if I
can get to the blackberry patch before the event. Should I even worry about
veggies? I've been on a diet so I'm really veggie conscious which I know
isn't necessarily period.

This isn't supposed to be long fancy feast because it is going be squeezed
in between the end of the fighting and court (which rumor has it might be
long). My main goal is to provide food that will meet the Crown's dietary
requirements as requested and that will be pleasing to the palate. I'm just
worried that it might be a bit protein heavy for the non-fighters/light
eaters in the group.

There are no kitchen facilities to speak of and I just have my little
roadmaster gas grill for heating things up. I'll be doing most of the prep
and cooking off-site but I live only 15 minutes from the site. I'm hoping
that if I bake the Hungarian tarts and pop them into an insulated cooler
straight from the oven they should stay warm enough to serve for at least an
hour. I can cook the sausages on the grill on site. The eggs can be served
at room temperature or chilled. The blackberry cobbler would be better warm
but will be doable at room temperature.

Okay, I've rambled on enough. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Ysabeau