[Sca-cooks] Bread and wine in the Catholic church

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 04:38:40 PDT 2006

Sounds like poetic justice to me, but then again, I have trouble with
the concept of 'innocent Christians'. :)

I've heard of some religions where one of the deities eats people, but I
think only Catholicism turns it around.  Joseph Campbell had a
fascinating book showing the link between the Jesus story and many
similar hero myths from earlier times, especially Prometheus.

Shifting the topic a bit, there are many foodstuffs that were/are sacred
to a particular religion.  One that comes to mind is Amaranth to the
Aztecs.  Anyone done a feast where each dish featured a 'sacred' ingredient?

Duriel

Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> Many years ago, when I was young and playing Dungeons and Dragons, one of the DM's had
> a scenario where the party breaks into a room where he told you that you see a man
> being crucified and the people in the room are eating his body and drinking his blood...
> I tried to tell the party that it wasn't what they thought it was, but they rushed in
> and slaughtered everyone... and they all changed their alignment from Good to Evil, because
> they slaughtered innocent Christians at communion.  My character didn't go in, because
> that is what I thought would happen and the others wouldn't listen...
>
> Huette
>

> --- grizly <grizly at mindspring.com> wrote:
>

>> Most Protestant denominations "reinact" with saltines and grape juice (or
>> even wafers and/or wine).  Catholic and Orthodox Churches are the only ones,
>> IIRC, with doctrine of transubstantiation.
>>
>> Makes you wonder if anyone ever really thinks about the implications of
>> actual weekly (or daily) ritual cannibalism as they cross themselves in
>> front of the priest . . . . I always do (did since my mid 20's).
>>
>> niccolo difrancesco

Tom Vincent