[Sca-cooks] Title of an ex-Viceroy

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue May 23 08:36:54 PDT 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Karin Burgess wrote:

> Q: What is a Viceroy/Vicereine?
> A: According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a Viceroy or
> Vicereine is "One who acts as the governor of a country, province,
> etc. in the name and by the authority of the supreme ruler; a vice-
> king." Originally, as the "Seat" of the East Kingdom, Ostgardr was
> ruled directly by the Crown; for the past few decades it has been
> ruled by a Viceroy and Vicereine as representatives of the Crown.
> According to Kingdom law, the Viceroy and Vicereine of Ostgardr
> outrank all other landed barons, regardless of their dates of
> elevation, and indeed take precedence over all but royal peers.
> Within the Crown Province (at least according to one knowledgeable
> source), they take precedence over royal peers as well, except the
> current King, Queen, Crown Prince, and Crown Princess.
> (Summarized from information provided by Yosef ben Lazar, Seahorse
> Pursuivant, and Master Ian, Viceroy of Ostgardr.)
>
> From :http://www.ostgardr.org
>
> So it seems it is a unique title.  I guess someone could contact
> the current Viceroy or Viceriene of Østgarðr, see what They will be
> called :)

I just got the Viceregal Answering Machine and left a message
punctuated with much uncontrollable laughter.

I'd bet anything they're going to be Baron Ian and Baroness
Katherine, Barons of the Court, Master/Mistress of the Pelican,
Laurel and Pelican, respectively, and the Third Viceroy (I think) and
First Vicereine of Østgardr

> This information pertains to just this example though. other places
> may use it differently. Like Reeve/ess or Vicor/ess.  At least here
> in Caid, the term Reeve/ess is used for the acknowledged heirs to a
> Barony.  Though when my husband and had been chosen, we had been
> given a choice to use either.  Feeling that Vicro/ess had too much
> of a religious feel to it, we stayed with Reeve/ss. I know that
> Vicor/ess in other areas is used for someone who has been asked to
> step in when things go wrong in a Barony (that was another reason
> we didn't want to use it)

Things don't have to be wrong here for a vicar to be installed. At
one point a couple of years ago, Ian and Katherine were suspended for
a reign [illegally, as it turned out; the Crown had every right to
suspend them per terms in Law which, ultimately, never even came
close to being met], the Crown tried to appoint a vicar, and nobody
would touch the job with a ten-foot pole.

Subsequently, when this couple decided it was time, for the well-
being of both the group and themselves, to retire after some 26 years
on the job, there was talk of installing a vicar to function as
titular head of the group and oversee the election of a new Viceroy
and/or Vicereine, until it was made clear to the Crown that, as per
Law, the vicar could not then run for election to the post himself.
Once again, nobody wanted the job, and our Kingdom seneschal, who
happens to live in Østgardr, is theoretically overseeing the
election. We have no vicar, but then the Viceroy and Vicereine are
still on the job until the investiture of their replacement/s, so we
don't need one.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782