[Sca-cooks] Title of an ex-Viceroy

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue May 23 08:47:14 PDT 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Saint Phlip wrote:

> So it seems it is a unique title.  I guess someone could contact
> the current Viceroy or Viceriene of Østgarðr, see what They will be
> called :)
>

> -Muiriath
>
> Well, personally, I suspect they'll be called Ian and Katherine,
> unless in a formal situation, when they'll be called "Your
> Excellency" ;-)

For the record, when it actually matters, which is rarely, I believe
their preference is to be called Their Excellencies, and otherwise
called/treated as a Baron and Baroness, because they take that job
pretty seriously. We don't tend to do title stacking around here, but
most people decide for themselves which of their titles (if more than
one) is the kewlest. For them, even though they're patent-holders,
which is sort of a big deal in the SCA, being a Baron/ess would trump
just about any peerage other than a duchy in period, so that's what
they use.

> And, if title stacking contnues, they may be referred to as "Baron/
> ess Master/Mistress, Ian/Katherine. Unless, of course, we come up
> with a good teasing title, as I sometimes refer to Duke Sir etc
> Cariadoc ;-)
>
> But, really, I think the title used should be appropriate for the
> situation. For example, I will casually refer to Adamantius as "A"
> or "Adamantius", or as head of the kitchen, introducing someone who
> needs to know he's boss (a volunteer, for example), "Master A", and
> he knows that if he hears me call him "Master Adamantius" in a
> certain tone, he needs to mentally have his Peer hat on.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the Silver Cabbage ;-)

Generally, though, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what
people call me...

Adamantius, grateful that, after twenty-some-odd years, most people
now call me by the cognomen instead of my first name only...

Holt, 07/29/04