[Sca-cooks] Bad Cooking at Feasts - was Re: good taste

SilverR0se at aol.com SilverR0se at aol.com
Tue May 23 15:59:33 PDT 2006

Caid has a classic Bad Feast, which was due more to a series of unfortunate
events rather than bad cooking.

This was my 1st SCA meal but fortunately it wasn't my last! (Which tells you
how long ago it was...)

This feast was arranged in haste, due to the fact that the King changed that
date of 12th Night at the last minute (this was back when this could be done)
and we had a number of visitors coming from Hawaii who could not change their
flight.

The Barony of Altavia decide to arrange an "11th Night" feast for our guests.
It took place in someone's house and was an assigned pot-luck, with 3 or 4
people bringing the same dish.

All the recipes were from "Fabulous Feasts" since we didn't know better back
then and, apparently, none had been tested. Also, the organizers had not taken
into account the fact the there was little or no reheating facilties. The
fish quiche was OK room temperature, but some of the other dishes were not so
lucky. I seem to remember the parsnip fitters with mushroom ketchup was not a
happy experience.

But worse was yet to come...

Our host, a local Duke, had made his specialty - split pea soup. For some
reason he (as I found out later) use arrowroot to thicken it instead of corn
starch. This made the texture so awful it is still indescribable today. And then
it scorched. Bleech! To this day I cannot stand even the smell of split-pea
soup.

So this big, impressive Duke stands up from his place at the high board and
announces "Everyone's enjoying the soup, _right_?"

The only truly edible part of the feast was a roast turkey, decorated with
peacock feathers, which only the high board got to eat.

Still, a good time was had by all, once the meal was cleared away.

And Caid has a good story to tell.

Then there was the dish that was Salmon-pomagranate moose for 12 at the test
banquet but was soup for 200 at the feast. Still tasty, tho.

Renata