[Sca-cooks] On-line Pennsic Pity Party

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed May 24 13:08:00 PDT 2006

At 12:46 PM 5/24/2006, you wrote:
>Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> [2006.05.24] wrote:
> > at Pennsic, the ultimate primitive site.>>>
> >
> > Well, it is often hard to call many Pennsic kitchen's "primitive
>
>I remember years, and years ago. Someone mentioned to me that SCA often
>meant primitive camping. After I explained that to me primitive was
>either paleolithic or (possibly) being dumped in the woods with nothing
>but your clothes and perhaps a knife we agreeed that SCA camping was
>less primitive than many was used to, but perhaps not *that* primitive.

Bah! Comfort camping for me! No, not the RV in the parking lot (geez,
what's the point? You could stay home and watch TV in your underwear ;-),
but a nicely appointed camp. Pavilion. Rugs. Chandelier. Poster bed. Wash
stand with basin. Table with the Madonna statue (sometimes I take the
pre-dieu also). And a workable kitchen (albeit with Coleman stove and
coolers, etc). I consider a site 'primitive' if there's no running water,
and I have to hike to the water buffalo over on the far side of camp. Or
rather, one of the menfolk have to- the water jug is too heavy for me when
it's full.

I have to wonder though, if camping as we do it will change significantly
as our population ages. I already know a few folk who will get a motel room
near site and day-trip from there.

'Lainie, who really ought to be packing for Egils...