[Sca-cooks] Air Mattress (was Pennsic Pity Party)

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu May 25 13:11:24 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Is your air mattress one of the standard camping-style ones, about 6 or
> 8
> > inches thick?  The kind you can roll out of and then get up from the
> ground?
> > If so, look into the Coleman "double high" air mattresses.  They are a
> good
> > 18 inches thick and you can actually sit on the edge of them to put your
> > socks on in the morning.  My lord and I actually used one of these as
> our
> > bed for several months before we bought a mattress and box spring and it
> was
> > MUCH nicer for camping at Pennsic last year than the usual low mattress.
> >
> >  -Helena
> >
> Woo!  If I had seen one of those, I would have bought it.  No such thing
> at the army surplus nor Big Five sporting goods stores.  Maybe I should
> do a fly-by of REI, a better sporting goods store, before heading
> Calafia-ward?
>
> Selene

They might. Believe it or not, WalMart might have them, too- they're getting
more popular.

No matter which air mattress you use, however, make sure you have a thick
later between you and it- egg crate foam is about the best in terms of
insulation and portability, also available at WalMart. Look in bedding,
rather than camping.  Air mattresses can be almighty cold, even if the
ambiant temperature doesn't drop much, and trust me- cold will do as much,
or more, to give you a painful night's sleep as sleeping directly on the
ground, and for much the same reasons.

--
Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"