[Sca-cooks] Re: Mysost/Gjetost (cheese)

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 15:37:13 PDT 2006

Cordelia Toser wrote:

>Am I the only person who's ever made gjetost?
>
>  Boiling down that much whey just to get to a
peanut-butter
consistency took a couple of days, since I did not
want to burn it.  You don't
get very much after all that work.  But I did learn
where most of the
milk sugars end up.

I bet one of those modern "crock pots" would obviate
the problem of
burning the bottom of the pot.  I don't use anything
else for long-time
cooking like this.  I really hate having to bring out
the wire brushes
for my cookware!

<snip>

Selene Colfox

*****

I've made it a couple of times, Cordelia, but it's so
much work that if I'm craving some I'll just go out
and buy it.

I don't think that a crockpot would work, as the whey
needs to be at a boil.  It needs to be stirred pretty
much constantly so you don't need to scrub the pot
afterwards.  They do have mechanical stirring machines
available.  ;)

Eibhlin, who is finally done with catching up with
email.  Whew!