[Sca-cooks] Silk Road timeframe, take 3

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 2 20:13:14 PDT 2006

Phlip replied to Morgana with:
> Well, you know, if you'd listen to the bloody answers, you might
> discover
> that it might be ANY time of year, depending on how long each
> individual trip
> took. Quite frankly, if you don't like the answers you're getting,
> I suggest
> you do your own research, and find an answer that suits you.

Calm down everyone, please. I was hoping someone might answer here
with more precise info, however I will point to some I have.
Hopefully this will not make the situation worse.

The silk? is not going to arrive at just any time of the year. If
something is traveling by ship, such as spices from India, the trade
followed the monsoon winds. This puts a definite seasonal, probably
almost monthly arrival time at one end or the other, depending upon
whether you are going to or from the East. Since the fleets from
Europe sailed to Egypt or the Middle East to pick up the cargos, this
again happened on a seasonal basis. I don't remember if Morgana
specified a century or not. When it was determined whether the trade
was likely to go overland or by sea.

For some fairly good info on the travel by sea, see, in particular,
Bear's comments in this file in the COMMERCE section of the Florilegium:
p-spice-trade-msg (30K)  9/ 4/04    The period spice trade. Routes,
methods.

We had quite a discussion on travel times when we were discussing
just how fresh the spices would arrive in Europe.

I will go ahead and post one of Bear's messages at the end of mine.

However, I seem to remember that Morgana may have been specifically
talking about overland travel. Again the speed of this will depend
upon the century. Some centuries it was unlikely or would at least
take a lot longer because of the multitude of kingdoms on the way and
which ones were at war with the others.

Travelogues may or may not be comparable to the time a merchant would
take. The former are more likely to be taking side trips and
sightseeing and not be familiar with the route. Presumably a merchant
would have been over the route before and would not be interested in
taking side jaunts.

>> Notice that how many years this covers is not relevant.
>>
>> Now if I seem cranky it's because I'm feeling very marginalzed by
>> this answer everything except my question.  (Maybe I should have
>> someone with titles ask all my questions.

I think your problem has nothing to do with titles or anything like
that. There are a lot of people here who have titles that I am
unaware of. At least for me, and I assume for many of the others,
especially for those who aren't posting their own titles, they could
care less.

I think the problem is that no one has an answer for you off the top
of their heads or like me, even if they have something they may have
to go look it up. Or, like me, what they have doesn't answer your
questions exactly.

I think I *might* have a book or two that talks about the overland
silk road trade routes. In fact, I'm pretty certain I do, thinking of
one of them. But I haven't got the slightest idea just where it is
right now and I haven't had time to search. This list has been
extremely busy these last couple of weeks and I'm having trouble
finding enough time to read the list and keep from falling further
behind, much less catch up. 12 digests in one day????

Anyway, let me see if I can find that book or at least give you the
info to perhaps find it.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas