[Sca-cooks] Silk Road timeframe, take 3

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue May 2 20:07:54 PDT 2006

> I did not ask about the geopolitical history of Asia Minor.  I don't care
> if it took so many years that your grandchildren finished the trip.  I'm
> trying to put together a menu, not write a thesis.

Other than the first website, all of the sites listed are the accounts of
people who travelled at least part of the Silk Road within SCA period.  The
first website is a collection of Appendices dealing with many aspects of the
Silk Road.  All solid documentation for researching the questions you asked.
Unfortunately, I have yet to find the Cliff's Notes with the answers.

> What season was it when you got your ass kicked out of Constantinople?

In most cases, you would never see Constantinople.  Most of the trade routes
that make up the Silk Road began in the Levant to as far south as Alexandria
and from the Black Sea north to Kiev.  Usually you leave this area in Spring
or Fall, but IIRC, John Pian of Carpini left Kiev in November.

> What season was it when you staggered into Samarkand?

Six months after you leave, give or take.

> What season was it when you reached Beijing?

You normally would not reach Beijing.  The terminus of the Silk Road was
Xian far to the southwest of Beijing.  You should also know that Beijing was
not the capitol until 1267.  Around 1300, it stopped being the capitol until
1421.  The season would depend on how long you had to wait for favorable
conditions in the Takalmakan.

> Notice that how many years this covers is not relevant.
>
> Morgana

You're right they aren't.  Nor do the seasons count, because you travelled
when weather and local political conditions permit.

You asked how fast PEOPLE crossed the Silk Road.  Since most people on the
Silk Road travelled with caravans, they travelled as fast as the camels (or
the mules, yaks, or porters over the Panirs).  That would on average be
about 10 miles per day, as previously stated.

Bear