[Sca-cooks] More of coffee and sugar spikes:

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu May 4 15:02:20 PDT 2006

marilyn traber 011221 wrote:
> Ibrihim is an ER physician in NYC, mundanely, and this is his take on the
> topic.
>
> Phlip
>

> Some interesting info from Hawk there.  Also, catacholamines in
> the body (epinephrine/adrenaline and others) do cause a rise in blood
> sugar.  Caffeine works through the same pathways.
>
>  	I have no explanation as to why decaffeinated coffee should cause
> a spike in blood sugars.  Perhaps the gentleman in question should perform
> the test Hawk outlines to see if it's truly the case.  Generally,
> the diet recommendations I've seen for diabetics allow for black coffee as
> an acceptable part of the diet.
>
> -Ibrahim al-Rashid

Yup, that's what I've been told.  I don't drink mine black but use
low-fat half and half and Splenda, so have virtually no carbs, which is
the problem for blood sugar.  I suspect that what foods affect a given
individual depends on that person.  I've noted that in other
areas...some folks can lose weight, for example, simply by cutting back
on calories.  I can't...I have to go with something like the South Beach
diet that cuts down on carbs.  So I doubt seriously that any one set of
rules apply to everyone...it depends on how your body handles various foods.

Kiri