40 Year Anniversary; was Re: [Sca-cooks] Non-feast cooking

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 17:45:39 PDT 2006

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Three, to the best of my limited knowledge, the idea of hosting a
> 40th Anniversary was put out there some time ago and all kingdoms
> were invited to host it. An Tir was the one that picked up the idea
> and made it happen.

About two years ago, the BoD sent out messages to all kingdoms to
send in bids for hosting the 40 Year Anniversary event as an SCA-wide
event.  They gave a deadline of six months for submission of such
bids.  After the deadline passed, they issued another message that
although there were two or three bids submitted, none of them were
acceptable to the BoD and then stated that no 40 Year Anniversary
event would happen.  I think that this was really Bad Form on the
part of the BoD.  They should have issued guidelines as to what they would
consider acceptable or tried working with said bids to see if
the bids could be improved so that a decent event could have happened.
The BoD also should have issued such a request a couple of earlier
than they did, so that people/kingdoms would have had time to do
a proper bid and find more favorable sites.  It was after the BoD
stated that no event was happening that An Tir came forth and said
that they would hold an anniversary event of their own, to which
everyone was invited.  I wish that I could go to such an event, but
my family situation will not allow me to.  And I agree with Kiri.
The BoD should start planning Now for the 50 Year Anniversary.
20 and 25 Year were held in Ansteorra.  30 Year was held in An Tir.
IIRC.

Huette