[Sca-cooks] Diabetes and Honey - substitute or not?

Ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Sat May 6 10:48:18 PDT 2006

I've been asked/volunteered to prepare a dinner at a local non-feast event
for the crown and other visiting nobles. There isn't a kitchen on site so I
was looking at prepare ahead recipes. While it isn't necessarily period,
there is a great recipe for a lamb with honey and apricots tagine in the
latest Cooking Light magazine. Since our current crown has a North
African/Muslim Spain (not really sure which) persona, I thought I'd try a
tagine as one of the dishes. However, they also request a diabetic friendly
diet...so what do I do about honey? I don't think Splenda makes a good
substitute so any other ideas? How does honey fit into the diabetic diet?
Should I just try something else?

I'm sure there are other cooks on the list that have prepared food for TRMs
Mahdi and Valeria...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ysabeau