[Sca-cooks] 40th Year Celebration

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 10:02:14 PDT 2006

Hi, all

  Kiri, for reasons unknown, no plans for any big 40 year celebration were made until sometime late last fall.  The event here in An Tir has been a heroic labor of love, at nearly the last minute, to make something happen that is worthy of the occasion.  I'm not sure it would have happened at all, but that a particularly generous and (I presume) moneyed local Scadian bought a ranch in a relatively remote area, and was willing to invest a not-so-small fortune installing roads and outbuildings, electricity and plumbling, and heaven knows what. I believe he's donating the cost of the biffies, or has bought them outright, with a view to hosting future events. And there are rumors that this site has the potential to create a Pennsic-level ongoing event on the west coast, which we who live here would greatly enjoy.  Getting to Pennsic isn't something I expect to be able to do often.

  Anyway, It's been amazing to watch 40-year come together.  I can't afford the event or the time off work this year, unfortunately, but I surely wish I could.  One thing, I am sure of is that no one was meant to be excluded from anything by the siting for this event; it's just that while everyone is invited, wanted, and welcome, the planning and prep have been a very local affair.

  Judith

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
    Kiri complained:

I do wish someone could explain to me the logic of having
this at the far end of the country for a lot of us. Now, while it would
be great to have it somewhere here on the east coast, that wouldn't be
fair either. Isn't there some place in the middle of the country that
would be a little more reachable for more of us...or, depending on your
point of view, equally inconvenient for all of us!
<<<
SNIP